The K-pop Chronicles: Minzy

So...yeah, we'll get back to the MVW results at another time because many things happened over the course of several weeks. I won't bore you with details except to say that I needed some rest for the sake of my sanity. And before anyone does the "oh it's just a contest thing," please stop. I was not offline because of that. There are much bigger things to cry over, such as having a dear SL friend of 4 years suddenly pass away. Now you know, and yes, most of the mourning has been done. Thank you all for your well-wishes.

Like I said, 2013 has started off a bit bumpy. My heart was still aching along with my brain because many questions without answers kept me up at all hours. In the course of a couple of weeks, before 2012 had even ended, I lost friends and faith in human decency. I didn't understand people. I didn't understand God. Nothing made any sense to me except for one thing. Logically this one thing shouldn't have made any sense since it wasn't even in a language I spoke, but it did. This thing was K-pop.

I wasn't like most who got into the scene only after Gangham Style blew up globally. My friend Xi was the one who first introduced me to it with a group called 2NE1. She showed me their music video for "I Am the Best." I wasn't blown away initially. I thought the video was cool but at the time, there was nothing striking to me about it.

Fast forward to a couple months later, when Psy's pony dance had caught on like a case of pink eye at a slumber party, and Xi showed me another video. This one was from a group called Big Bang. I fell in love, and like my whirlwind romance with anime and manga, I melted into an abyss of creative bliss. The music held depth, regardless of whether it was meant to be light or dark in theme. From the slick fashion to the sharp choreography, these too-perfect-to-be-human idols brought me out of my funk.

2NE1 is now my favorite female K-pop group; you could even call me a Blackjack (the name of their fans). They are each powerhouses in their own right with combined abilities that make the group what it is. These women don't cater to the aegyo or cutesy side of K-pop (unless you count Lollipop), and unlike some American singers, they are not about sliding down stripper poles or licking their dancers for attention either. They have genuine skills as a group that don't require them to sell out to gain fame. They wear Jeremy Scott, Givenchy, and Balmain, and they do it in a way that doesn't make fans feel alienated.

For my first post of the K-pop Chronicles, I have chosen 2NE1's maknae (the youngest member in Korean groups), Minzy. She may be tiny but dynamite comes in small packages, and she packs heat into all her dance moves. Her style is also nothing to be ignored for its punky edge mixed with high fashion badassness. I don't think I did her style justice, but since I am low on lindens, I came up with what I could.

Look forward to more of these themed posts in 2013 as I take inspiration from music, movies and literature for my styles.


Jacket/shirt combo: coldLogic
Pants: tres blah
Shoes: Redgrave
Tie: Mandala
Hair: LOQ
Eyeshadow: Ricielli
Pose: Dare (closed)

Comments

Popular Posts